Virgin Olive Oil Poached Halibut with Melted Leeks and Lemon Vinaigrette
Cavey's, Manchester, CT
- 4 - 7 ounce halibut filets
- 3 large leeks washed and rough chopped
- 7 ounces sweet butter
- 3 large Idaho potatoes diced
- 4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Seasonal vegetable garnish
- Juice of half lemon
- Diced herbs, chives, basil, parsley and chervil
In sauté pan slow cook leeks in 3 tablespoons butter with a teaspoon of salt. When very soft, set aside. Boil potatoes until soft and hand mash. Mix in the leeks, remaining soft butter, and cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.Heat olive oil in saucepan until 160-170 degrees. Add halibut and slow poach 8-12 minutes.
Arrange potato-leek mixture in center of plate and place halibut in center. Around the outside of plate arrange seasonal vegetables. Mix lemon juice with a few tablespoons of the warm olive oil, mixed herbs and salt and pepper. Spoon over the halibut filets. Strain olive oil and store in refrigerator.